The Five Favorites List

cnd1mbxla6m-joshua-earleIn honor of the late great B.B. King I am listening to Lucille while I write this post about my five favorite movies musicians/bands and authors.

Truth is I tend to hate writing posts like these not because I am not decisive but because they tend to function better as a snapshot of what I like at a particular age(s).

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better or easier to develop a list of 10 or 25 items.

Maybe I’ll do that one day, but for now we’ll use the five that are listed in the existing categories.

Bonus points go to the commenter(s) who name something that makes me slap my head saying “I should have included that.”

Of course it would be ironic to realize that I left off one of my favorites but such is life.

5 Favorite Movies

5 Favorite Authors

1. Mark Twain
  2. J.R.R. Tolkien
  3. George R.R. Martin
  4. Nelson Demille
  5. Stephen Donaldson

Now it is your turn. Who do you like to read/watch/listen to?

1. Larry May 17, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I hate making these sort of lists. I always remember one afterward. I debate internally way too much. So,I’ll hold off. I like your movie list.

2. jens May 17, 2015 at 10:05 am

Hi Josh,

It’s really hard to come up with lists of the best or the worst (of anything). I have never watched On the waterfront, I have just added it to my wishlist and will hopefully watch it soon.

I can add two movies that I really enjoyed, and that’s The Shawshank Redemption and The Usual Suspects.

I didn’t listen much to B.B. King, but I have listened enough to understand that he is a legend.

3. T. Hopkins May 16, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Hey Joshua! I like your list. Those are some heavyweights!

It’s always hard for me to narrow any of my favorite anything down to 5, but these are what first come to mind.

5 Favorite Movies (in order):
    Kill Bill, Vol 1&2 (I count them as one story)
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Somewhere In Time
    Coal Miner’s Daughter
    True Grit

5 Favorite Artists/Bands:
    AC/DC
    Bobby Darin
    Mother Road
    Accept
    The Fabulous Thunderbirds

5 Favorite Authors (this was the hardest to narrow down)
    E.B. White (for obvious reasons)
    Mark Twain
    Jane Austen
    Mike Dooley
    Jean Craighead George

• Joshua May 17, 2015 at 8:35 am

True Grit is great, I like the original best. I’ll watch any Eastwood movie.

AC/DC is always welcome on my play list.

• T. Hopkins May 17, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I forgot “The Green Mile”! How could I leave that out?
        I knew about B.B. being sick, but it was still a shock to hear he’d passed away. I found out from my father in law of all people, and I don’t know that he’s a blues fan.
        All the legends we’ve known–it seems like that era is all too quickly passing by. The new guys will keep cropping up, no doubt, and what I’ve heard is very impressive. I’m glad their respect for the genre is keeping it going. But it will never be the same, you know? RIP, B.B. King. Everybody is saying that Heaven must have a hell of a band now.

• Joshua May 17, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I like The Green Mile. That was cool. Another Stephen King story.

Heaven does have a hell of a band now, at least B.B. was of a respectable age.