A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

There are no spurs to go with this hat.

There are no spurs to go with this hat.

The nameless group of people known as they say a picture is worth a thousand words so I bring to you four thousand words and a couple more for good luck.

Ma and pa decided to give me an early birthday gift to go along with my new hometown so I had to wear it around people, places and things where I wouldn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

Back home a hat like that might be the sort of thing that you could call an “attention getter” or “conversation starter,”  but not here. Here I just look like one of the boys and I am ok with that.

I don’t really need to be the center of attention, not shy by a long shot but sometimes it is ok to blend in.

Black Hat/White Hat

I tried on several different hats but this is the one I liked best. Black suits me and well I am good at getting dirty so I figured that black would work better for me. I picked up this one down at the Stockyards and after I finished giggling because I felt like a bit of a poseur I just enjoyed the moment.

And then I started to think about all the different stories a hat could tell and wondered what this particular one will be witness to. Will it be a part of the rest of my life and see another 100 years of activities? Will it be handed down to my son and or grandchildren?

Or will it be something that sticks around for a much briefer time before it heads off to wherever hats go when they no longer sit upon your head.

Who is that guy.

Who is that guy.

I keep looking at the guy in the hat and laughing because I never could have guessed life would turn out as it has, but hell it has been one hell of a ride and I am enjoying the adventure.

And you know a good hat is a key element in any adventure, so something tells me things are about to get even more interesting. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

1. kumar April 3, 2013 at 12:16 am

Josh, Amazing!
    you look like a rockstar not a cowboy, use it as a Josh-brand now.

2. Barbara Charles March 28, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Pretty snazzzy there Cowboy! 🙂 Love it!
    Barbara

3. Mary Stephenson March 26, 2013 at 11:23 am

Hi Josh

Well that is cool, you finally got a hat. That is a sharp looking hat. When I was a kid I had only boys in my neighborhood, so we played cowboys and indians. Got to wear a black hat pinned up at the sides to look like a cowboy hat.

So you now look like you fit in and now you probably need to work on your accent and soon no one will ever know you are a LA transplant.

Mary

4. Adrienne March 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I’m a fan of black too Josh but mine was off white. After I quit wearing it it collected so much dust that the moths got to it. Ah, it was fun while those days lasted but it did nothing for my hair as the years moved on.

Now the next time you take a photo, smile! You look like you could care less Josh! lol… Let’s see that beautiful smile of yours. I know you’ve got it in ya! 🙂

Hope you’re enjoying your new home and we Texans are treating you right!

~Adrienne

• Josh March 26, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Hi Adrienne,

Well, as the years move on I am probably going to want it for my hair, or lack thereof. 😉

Texas has been pretty good to me so far, no complaints.

5. Jayme Soulati March 24, 2013 at 7:17 am

Poseur? Hmm, I don’t think I really knew how to spell that. Thank you! Oh, yeah, and one more thing…the hat looks, uhmm, OK. CowboyWannaBe. #That.Is.All.

6. Julie Barrett March 24, 2013 at 6:56 am

That is perfect. It looks like you’ve had it forever and it doesn’t even make your ears look big. My husband wears a white hat and although I never thought about the black/white dichotomy until you just pointed it out, it’s very fitting overall. Just don’t ride in a covertible. It tends to result in lost hats around bends.

• Josh March 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Hi Julie,

That hat practically jumped into my hand. I really like it, it is fun. I definitely won’t wear it in a convertible, I like too much to risk it.

7. Kristen Daukas March 23, 2013 at 9:37 pm

The hat looks HAWT on you friend!!! You’ve missed your calling until now!! I’ll bring my boots this summer and we can two step :). By now I’m sure you’ve been to the Stockyards? If not, go soon and make sure to visit the White Elephant and Joe T Gracias.. Especially for brunch.

• Josh March 24, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Thank you ma’am. I have boots and I know how to two step. That line dancing thing from our days in college made sure I learned at least one thing.

And yes, I have been to all of those restaurants. Ever been to Shady Oak? That is one of my new favorites.

8. Vidya Sury March 23, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I always yearned to wear a hat like that!