What Happens When You Hate The Holidays

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (mu...

Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (musical) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Hypothetically speaking you might find yourself included on a panel of people who are tasked with discussing why they hate the holidays.

In case I was too oblique in my presentation Monday afternoon I was included as part of a HuffPost Live panel called Bah Humbug.

I enjoyed it. I thought it was fun and I had a good time with it. Although to be fair I did hear from a few people who thought I was “Stiff,” “Arrogant”  and “The Grinch.”

Maybe It Was Something I Said

I suppose that some people might not appreciate my suggestion that caroling might be more fun if you brought a Taser or maybe they were jealous that I took out 27 people at Walmart to buy the last Tickle Me Elmo and a seven dollar toaster.

I almost didn’t let you know about it because I am aware of the lessons in Don’t Be The Schmuck On The Camel but experience has also taught me that sometimes you have to toot your own horn.

The trick is just making sure it comes from the right end at the right time.

Anyway, if you are so inclined feel free to watch the clip and comment here.

1. Pingback: 365 Reasons Why You Should Publish Year Round

2. Sylviane Nuccio December 22, 2012 at 4:46 am

When I was a child I used to have the most beautiful Christmas a child could ever have. It was like a dream… Since the family gathered, we were between 5 to 8 kids depending on the year, and literally over half of the living room was full of toys all around the Christmas tree. Then, my aunt would turn her Super 8 camera on to catch our amazed faces on film.

I don’t know if you know, but the flash of those cameras were very strong and bright, so it made the toys look like in a dream.

Those Christmas to this day are some of the most beautiful memories I have, but as I grew up the magic kind of went away of course.

3. Carolyn December 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Great job making lemonade out of lemons, Josh. Congratulations on your success! 🙂

4. Mary Stephenson December 19, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Hi Joshua

Watched the video. I think a lot of people hate the holidays. If they would take away the expectations of what you should feel like, act like and get, then it would probably be a lot more fun.

You give to others and get less from them and they have more money. Been there on that and it becomes a stupid competition of giving. Giving to people who we would just as soon not give to.

Moving away from families sure cut down on the gift giving. Only when we went to visit at Christmas time once in awhile did we come bringing gifts. Parents have all been gone for many years and we have not returned since for the holidays.

My husband and I gave up giving gifts to each other years ago. We still buy for daughter and granddaughter. We decided it just made better sense to buy throughout the year the stuff we really wanted instead of trying to figure out what the other one wanted. Now we just buy a few simple gifts for the above and we don’t spend days shopping. In the store for a few hours and we are done. Much more relaxed. For fun we watch holiday movies.

Expectations of how happy you should be is what I am sure people have a real problem with. They can’t be anything else but disappointed with such a high value on happiness.

Mary
    PS Loved your camel post!

• Josh December 19, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Hi Mary, I think you’re exactly right about expectations. It isn’t always easy to manage expectations so people end up being disappointed.

It’s important to me to help my kids not fall into the trap of measuring their worth based upon possessions.

I am glad you enjoyed the camel post. Hope you and yours have a merry Christmas.

5. Jayme Soulati December 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

Congrats to you on this one! Huge to be invited even though you’re a curmudgeon…so they say.

6. Sapna December 19, 2012 at 1:27 am

Hi Josh

I don’t like holidays for different reasons, one being the traffic chaos on holidays. But at home I thoroughly enjoy that. When I use to work as slave, I use to enjoy them the most, now liberated…but liking persist.

Sapna

7. Brian D. Meeks December 19, 2012 at 12:26 am

I hate Christmas. I hate Birthdays, not just mine, either, everyone’s. I’m not fond of New Year’s Eve and since the BCS has ruined Jan 1, I’m not fond of the New Years Day. Thanksgiving is a drag, now that I think of it. The only holiday I like, ironically is a massive religious celebration that happens on the last regular season game of the year, of course, I speak of Ohio State vs. michigan (No, that isn’t a typo, I don’t capitalize michigan). Go Buckeyes!

• Josh December 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hi Brian,

You are a good curmudgeon and believe me, I know all about it. The BCS has done a serious number to New Years and bowl games in general.

Were you one of those people who got stuck on I-70 and ended up getting trapped in Columbus?

I am a Pac-12 guy so I don’t care which of the schools you mentioned wins and am happy when they both lose. 😉